The most common option for using tiaras, crowns and tiaras is as a decoration of the bride’s charming hairstyle and a necessary attribute of the wedding ceremony. Knowing the difference between them will help you avoid confusion when choosing accessories for formal events, beauty contests, photo shoots and themed parties.
What is a tiara decoration?
The name «tiara» comes from the Persian language, where it means the high headdress of Persian priests in the form of a truncated cone with a flat top, decorated with gold plates in the form of leaves, flowers and the sun. It was worn by emperors and kings for solemn ceremonies.
In Christian terminology, a tiara is a papal crown consisting of three diadems superimposed on each other. It was first mentioned in the 19th century. Since then, it has undergone several changes.
Today it is a women’s headdress — a semicircular strip ornament, decorated with precious metals and stones. It is worn on the head or forehead.
According to tradition, women’s tiaras were worn exclusively by representatives of royal families.
These days, married ladies wear tiaras, crowns and tiaras for official occasionsial measures. This decoration is combined exclusively with evening dresses. The British royal family has the largest collection of tiaras and tiaras in the world, many of which are family heirlooms.
The most famous tiaras in the world:
- Cartier Haloin which the Duchess of Cambridge Catherine was at the wedding with Prince William.
- Volodymyrska. At first it belonged to the Grand Duke of Russia Volodymyr. Now it belongs to Queen Elizabeth II. Her set includes two different types of stones: pearls and emeralds.
- Lover’s Cambridge Knot. It was worn by Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Diana and the Duchess of Cambridge.
- Queen Mary’s Fringe Tiara. An ornament created on the basis of a traditional Russian kokoshnik. Queen Elizabeth II wore it at her wedding. Can also be used as a necklace.
- Poltimore. Adorned with clusters of old-cut diamonds, set with dazzling diamonds and twisted platinum spirals. The special feature of this beautiful tiara is that it transforms into a necklace and eleven stunning brooches.
- Tiara with Brazilian aquamarine. Created in 1957 as part of a necklace and earring set given to Queen Elizabeth in 1953. Its centerpiece since 1971 is a magnificent Brazilian aquamarine of the highest class.
- Maxim. Royal tiara decorated with 655 diamonds and 33 Kashmir sapphires. It was worn by Queen Letizia, Duchess Camilla and Princess Kate Middleton.
What is a jewelry tiara?
Translated from ancient Greek, the word «diadem» means «to bind», from Latin — it is a decorative bandage made of precious metal, symbolizing the sovereignty of the state.
For the first time in the form that the diadem looks like today, it first appeared in ancient Greece, where it was a symbol of the high status of the owner and his triumphal achievements. In ancient times, it was worn only by men. At that time, Roman emperors and Greek gods, such as Zeus and Hera, wore such an accessory. Later, girls from rich families began to use the decoration at weddings.
Some historians claim that all other decorations, including crowns and tiaras, are varieties of tiaras:
- gang — this is a headband, located on the forehead and around the head;
- egret — a small «raisin» in the hair, it is worn either in the middle or on the side. It often uses feathers or floral patterns made of metal, diamonds or other shiny stones;
- hen house — a noble decoration that looks like a nimbus above the head. It does not close, but is fixed on ropes, rubber bands or with the help of hair.
- Coronet — a small closed crown that is worn on the head.
The most famous tiaras in the world:
- Sparks of Arcot. In 1930, Hugh Richard Arthur Grosvenor, 2nd Duke of Westminster, commissioned a French jeweler from the Lacloche workshop to set the two stones that had previously adorned the earrings into an extravagantly decorated tiara that also contained 1,400 smaller diamonds. It was divided by an equally significant large stone with a brilliant cut. It was designed in such a way that you can take pear-cut diamonds out of it and wear them as an equally spectacular brooch.
- Nur-ul-Ain. The tiara, which was created by the famous jeweler Harry Winston from platinum and smaller diamonds — 324 pink, yellow and colorless diamonds. The largest of them is the most valuable bright pink Nur-ul-Ain diamond weighing 60 carats, while the others weigh between 14 and 19 carats.
What is the difference between a tiara and a wedding tiara?
This jewelry bijouterie was made from objects that used to really serve as symbols of power. Then they could afford to be made to order from jewelry masters and only the most high-ranking people could have them. These ornaments were made of silver and gold, they were decorated with precious stones.
Modern models are made from simpler and less expensive materials. They use imitations of precious stones (zircon, cubic zirconia, artificial pearls), patterns of rhinestones, interweaving of metal elements.
When comparing a tiara and a royal diadem, it is clear that the difference between them is in the style of execution.
The tiara has a lighter construction and is usually unchanged along the entire length. The rim is completely closed or semi-closed. She looks very elegant and romantic. In the Middle Ages, it was a heavy accessory. It was used as an item to hide the edges of a wig, it was worn directly on the forehead. A modern tiara — light and elegant, but still a little more massive than a diadem — is one of the varieties of crowns that symbolize power. Previously, only women and girls of the upper world could afford such a head decoration in the form of a crown. What makes a diadem significantly different from a tiara is that it is held on the hair, and not on the head itself. The front part of this decoration looks like a crown. It has a wide center with narrowed edges or a pointed top.
The difference between a modern tiara and a diadem
The main difference between a tiara and a diadem is in the decoration. A jewelry tiara always has a more complex design. It uses precious and semi-precious stones. Most often, this decoration is made in the form of a crown, which is often ordered for the winners of beauty contests and brides.
The tiara has a simpler appearance. It looks like a hoop. The product is made in a rounded shape with the same width and diameter all around, which gives it elegance.
According to the rules of etiquette, the tiara or tiara should not be too far on the back of the head, so that it does not look like it is slipping. In this case, a good guideline is a maximum distance of 3 cm from the hairline.
Mini-diadems on the comb are used to fix a high knot on the top of the head or on the back of the head.
For a round face, an elongated design is recommended, for an oval face, a thin product is usually a more harmonious solution.
A good hair fixation is as important as the correct hairstyle: most tiaras have loops at the ends, with which they can be attached to the hairstyle with either pins or thin rubber bands.
You already know how a tiara differs from a tiara, where and how to wear it correctly, and what to consider when choosing this jewelry. Choose this accessory in our catalog (silver jewelry store Silvers) And order with delivery across Ukraine.