When silver jewelry loses its aesthetics and shine due to tarnishing, the question arises «how to clean silver with stones?».
In this article, we will talk about proven methods of cleaning silver with pebbles of both natural and artificial origin.
How to clean silver products with stones?
The selection of funds and the method of cleaning procedures for silver jewelry determines the density of the stone structure:
- turquoise can be immersed in water due to its porosity. Products with it can only be wiped with a damp cloth;
- amethyst, garnet, topaz are well cleaned by alkaline and weakly concentrated acid solutions, but at high temperature they instantly tarnish;
- emerald, sapphire and aquamarine are well cleaned with a weak solution of shampoo and water, washing powder or liquid soap. It is necessary to first soak the silver in warm water. A toothbrush will help to process hard-to-reach places and small elements;
- malachite, moonstone, opal should be cleaned without any abrasive substances. Therefore, the powder must be replaced with household soap. You cannot rub the surface with chalk or soda, because small particles scratch the loose surface of these minerals;
- zircon, fyanite, quartz are not demanding on the solution and water temperature;
- rock crystal and Swarovski crystals are processed with a cotton sponge dipped in ammonia or toothpaste.
How to clean silver jewelry with stones?
Natural minerals have a porous structure, so they are more prone to damage and scratches. When cleaning silver with house stones, it is inadmissible to use both bows, acids, ammonia and abrasive cleaning agents.
- It is better to clean amber without water and chemicals — wipe with a slightly damp cloth.
- Natural pearls do not tolerate ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, they are washed exclusively in a weak solution of household soap. You can’t rub pearls. They should be dried naturally, avoiding exposure to sunlight.
- Corals are very sensitive to water and sun. It is advisable to wear such accessories in the evenings so that the coral does not burn out. They are cleaned without touching the corals.
How to clean silver with stones at home?
The most popular ways to clean silver jewelry with stones:
Dissolve 1 teaspoon of soda in 0.5 liters of water. Put the accessory there for 15 minutes. Remove and wipe dry with a cloth;
put raw peeled potatoes and peeled products in a bowl of water for 3-4 hours. Remove and, without wiping, leave until completely dry. After that, carefully polish;
go over the light areas of the product with an eraser.
If you do not know how to clean silver with stones or you are afraid of damaging jewelry, use special preparations designed for the treatment of jewelry.
The solution contains fragrances, phosphates, surfactants, organic solvents and water. It will not only clean the products, but also cover the silver surface with a protective film. Available in a jar. The set includes a special basket, where you need to put the product, and put it in a jar and leave it for 30 seconds. Next, the silver must be washed under running water and polished with a soft, dry cloth. The result is noticeable from the first time. A significant drawback of this tool is a very pungent smell. It cannot be used to clean jewelry with pearls, amber and coral.
The spray, which comes with a brush for cleaning relief elements, curls and indentations, is harmless, transparent, odorless. You just need to sprinkle the product, leave it for a few minutes and rinse with water.
Microfiber polishing cloths that do not contain chemicals or disposable wipes soaked in solution.
Since blackened products are attractive not only with a beautiful, but also with a properly aged appearance, they should be cleaned as rarely as possible. Avoid aggressive cleaning compounds and strong mechanical friction.
SILVERS SILVER JEWELRY STORE