A necklace is a cult attribute that consists of beads strung on a wire, chain, fishing line or string. It is worn around the neck, waist or hips.
Such jewelry is made in various shapes and colors, with precious stones, crystals, coins, flowers and various talismans. In ancient times, it was originally worn by men — rulers of states, priests, and soldiers. Only a few centuries ago, this product became feminine.
This article will talk about how to choose the right necklaces, how to wear them and with which clothes it is best to combine them.
Why did people wear necklaces before?
African women have worn decorative jewelry on their waists and hips for thousands of years. Around the neck, the necklace began to be worn with dresses in the countries of Europe, Asia and America. They were called not only an ornament, but a symbol of femininity, fertility, well-being, and sensuality. And they were also believed to perform several important functions, showing:
- deviations in weight and health problems. Belts, bandages on and neck ornaments were used to determine changes in weight. They accurately showed whether a person gained or lost weight. If a person has gained weight, has a bloated stomach or enlarged lymph nodes on the neck, the beads will either be higher or will fit tightly. If it has lost weight, it will cover the circle freely or go down;
- maturity. In those countries of the world where wearing beads is a tradition, they are often associated with growing up. When children were given names, they were traditionally decorated with several beads around the waist and neck. Mothers put on their daughters whole necklaces after the first menstruation. An increase in the number of beads symbolized the onset of a new life stage. The jewelry worn by a teenage girl will be different from what she will wear after her wedding and the birth of her first child;
- fertility. Many women use hip beads to enhance their sensuality. They are worn before sex to get pregnant. During periods of fertility, African tribal women wear long and large necklaces with elements such as tinkling coins and bells to attract potential suitors nearby. Some peoples wear waist and neck beads under their clothes. There are special charm necklaces for expectant mothers;
- heritage and pride. Wearing beads is a popular way to express respect to one’s ancestors, to emphasize the customs and traditions of one’s people;
- training. This accessory helps to improve your posture. The necklace behaves differently when a person is standing, breathing, sitting. They remind you that you need to breathe correctly, sit up straight, straighten your back, tighten your abs, straighten your shoulders;
- magical properties. In many countries of the world, women add talismans and amulets to a necklace. It is customary to apply aphrodisiac oils on them to seduce men or to protect yourself from the evil eye and negative energy.
What women’s necklaces to choose and what to wear them with?
The most important thing when choosing such an accessory is individual preferences. It is made in a large number of styles, colors and materials.
Each color has a certain meaning:
- blue: harmony, enlightenment, truth;
- brown: stability, calmness;
- green: hope, abundance, healing, prosperity;
- purple: power, spirituality, wisdom;
- red: self-confidence, love, passion, courage;
- white: truth, purity, light;
- yellow: clarity, joy, awareness, energy.
The color of the bead elements is selected taking into account the type of appearance. Black, red, white jewelry is perfect for brunettes with fair skin. Products of delicate shades are recommended for women with dark skin. Brown-haired women and ladies with a warm shade of hair — amber and golden colors.
Full women with large breasts should avoid wearing massive jewelry. A thin neck can be decorated with a decorative collar made of beads.
Since it has become fashionable to wear clothes in an ethnic style again, the trend is for models of red beads made of natural materials (wood, coral, amber, pearls), which go well with things made of denim, natural cotton, wool and linen.
With which stone to wear a necklace (photo)?
Each precious stone has a specific effect:
- amber protects against negativity;
- emerald provides happiness, prosperity and wealth;
- turquoise protects from evil and misfortune;
- lapis lazuli is responsible for peace, truth and insight;
- pearls promote purity and transparency in relationships;
- rose quartz supports feelings of love, compassion, accelerates healing.
How to properly wear necklaces on the neck?
It depends on their length:
- 30-33 cm — several horizontal rows of beaded threads and create a wide rim that wraps tightly around the neck like a collar. What to wear this type of necklace with depends on the length of the collar, shirt, dress, blouse and the depth of the neckline;
- 35-40 cm — a classic version in the form of a solid thread that wraps around the neck above the collarbones. Its main feature is versatility. It suits any neckline and any style of clothing;
- 40-50 cm — the most common length of women’s beads. They sit well and loosely on the neck and are combined with various clothes, with the exception of things with a high collar. Harmonize with a summer sundress and a dress with open shoulders;
- 42-48 cm — thread with solid beads, which is decorated with a pendant. Thanks to the correct oval shape, they are worn as a necklace. They are suitable for women who cannot boast of a long or slender neck. They visually lengthen the neck if they are worn with dresses with a boat neckline or with a deep neckline;
- 50-60 cm — it mainly monochromatic black, white, gray or brown necklaces that go well with anything. Starting from an office suit, evening and cocktail dress and ending with a summer sundress. The only thing that does not look good with them is clothes with buttons, embroidery, applications and other additional decorations;
- 55-70 cm — an accessory of medium length, the elements of which end at chest height. But it is important that the bottom layer of beads does not touch the neckline of the dress or blouse;
- 71-86 cm — necklaces loose enough to wear over the head. Previously, it was permissible to wear such jewelry only at official events. The necklace, located just below the chest level, optically lengthens the silhouette;
- 75-120 cm — necklaces falling below the chest line. They can be worn over everyday clothes, twisted several times or tied in a knot. They are best combined with long plain dresses.
How to choose the right necklaces for a dress
The main selection criterion is the age of the future owner of the product. Almost the entire assortment of jewelry is suitable for teenage girls. There are no restrictions on the length of beads for them. They can safely wear a necklace not only on the neck, but also on the shoulders, on the waist, on the hips and use them as a bracelet.
Small pearl beads are suitable for young girls, especially brides. They emphasize their youth, femininity and sophistication of the outfit.
Very short and very long necklaces do not suit older women. The average length is perfect for them. Jewelry with large stones or pendants can draw too much attention to the appearance, so be careful when choosing a pendant with a stone.
A versatile option is to wear a necklace with small stones both with a dress and with a blouse and shirt, twist it in several rows or tie it with a knot.
Now you know how to choose neck jewelry by length, color, how to wear a necklace and with what clothes to combine.
Get acquainted with the catalog of our Silvers online store, choose your favorite jewelry or costume jewelry and place an order with delivery across Ukraine. Our products are of high quality, they look more beautiful than in the photos and even with constant wear for many years they retain their original appearance.